CHANGING THE FACE OF SUMMER SKIN
5 Summer Tips To Keep Your Skin Flawless
Sun exposure remains the number one cause of premature aging. Each summer we age a little more whether we like it or not. The sun’s rays can be warm and sensuous… or intense and painful. Much of how the sun affects your skin depends on us! Here are several tips for sun sense:
- Wear a sunscreen with an SPF 30 or above every day-all year long. UVB rays are strong in summer and affect the surface of your skin; UVA rays are just as strong all year long and they go deeper to damage your DNA.
- Avoid extended time in direct sun between 10 AM and after 2 PM, when the sun is most intense and damaging. Wear protective clothing and reapply sunscreen every 90-120 minutes.
- Use sun glasses with broad spectrum UVA & UVB protection; and wear a wide brimmed hat to protect delicate ears and lobes.
- Increase your diet of fresh colorful fruits and green leafy vegetables–and drink 8-10 glasses of water per day to replenish and nourish your body.
- Spend at least 20 minutes a day walking outside to get your daily dose of Vitamin D3 while improving your digestion, circulation and over-all health.
Here’s a little skin TLC to help you look as ageless as you feel!
- Sun stressed skin can feel rough to the touch, scaly or uneven. A retinol and / or exfolient used daily helps to stimulate fresh new cells while a nightly regimen of glycolic/multi-fruit acids or a lactic acid serum can loosen and lift dead skin and surface pigment . Avoid products that irritate.
- Refresh. Hydration helps to soften and restore sun drenched skin. Hyaluronic based moisturizers loaded with anti-oxidants saturate your skin with moisture to help loosen surface pigment and increase desquamation(cellular turnover) while delivering nutrients to help regenerate and rejuvenate skin.
- Look for moisturizers with anti-aging green tea, grape seed, olive extract, phospholipids and Vitamin A that protect cells and aid in reversing the effects of sun-damage.
- Protecting collagen helps increase skin’s integrity and strength. Used daily topical Vitamin C helps protect collagen that gives skin its structure.
- Skin Brighteners help to fade dark spots. Non-irritating skin lighteners with kojak acid, arbutin, vitamin C and lactic acid work best once damaged surface skin has been removed. Skin brighteners must be used AM & PM for several weeks along with sunscreen to achieve results.
If you have questions or concerns regarding your skin, please contact Millie Bell at mbell@dermHA.com.